Financial Transparency

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

​Property Taxes

How do I contact my appraisal district?

The City of Dallas resides in four different counties with the vast majority of appraised parcels located in Dallas County. To contact your respective district, please see the information below:

Dallas Central Appraisal District
2949 Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, Texas 75247

call (214) 631-0910

Collin Central Appraisal District
250 Eldorado Pkwy
McKinney, TX 75069

call (469) 742-9200

Denton Central Appraisal District
3911 Morse St.
Denton, TX 76208

call (940) 349-3800

Rockwall Central Appraisal District
841 Justin Road
Rockwall, TX 75087

call (972) 771-2034


How do I appeal the tax appraised value of my property (real estate or business property)?

To appeal your appraised valuation, you may send protests to your respective county appeal board. For further details on how to protest to the appeal board, click here.

How do I apply for a homestead and over 65 tax exemption for my residence?

Appraisal districts are responsible for approving all tax exemptions: Homestead, Over-65 Homestead Exemption, Disabled Homestead Exemption, Veterans Exemption, Agricultural Exemption, Open Space Exemption, and Totally Exempt Property (churches, schools, governmental property). Once an exemption is allowed on a homestead, it will be allowed each year until the property changes ownership or the use of the property changes.

To apply for an exemption contact your respective appraisal district to ask for an application. Please provide all required information as soon as possible in order to allow the district time to update their records and provide the correct information to the taxing jurisdictions.

How has the City of Dallas tax rate changed over time?

CoD Tax Rate.JPG

Detailed tax rate history information (Excel Spreedsheet, 65 kb)

How has the City of Dallas General Fund grown over time?

GF Growth.JPG

Council Agendas

Is the Council Agenda available online?

The Council Agendas and approved minutes are available on the City Secretary's Office homepage.

Where can citizens pick up Council agendas?

Agenda packets are available at several locations within City Hall, 1500 Marilla Street:

  • City Hall Information Desk, Lobby
  • City Secretary's Office, 5DS, (214) 670-3741
  • Agenda Office, 4FS, (214) 670-3100
  • Open Records Request

    How do I submit an Open Records request to the City?

    Information on submitting a request is available on the Open Records Request page.

    A majority of the documents found on this site are available in Adobe PDF format. To view or download the provided information, please click Adobe Acrobat Reader.